St. James the Greater Catholic Church
Parish Council Update
At the December 2013 meeting of the Parish Council there was in depth discussion about the current Parish Council structure, purpose, and effectiveness. It was decided at that meeting to assemble a small group of parish council members to review the council to make sure that it was effectively working towards accomplishing the mission of the parish and make recommendations for ways to improve the council.
The small group began meeting shortly after that and has been working on a plan of action for the parish council. The group took time to consider the following things:
- Does the current mission statement accurately reflect what our mission should be at St. James?What are the key parts or most important parts of the mission statement?
- Is the Parish Council succeeding in their current role?
- Are the current commissions at St. James all working towards accomplishing the mission?
- Are any of these commissions irrelevant or unnecessary? Are there any new commissions that need to be created?
- Is it necessary to have the leader of each commission represented on the Parish Council?
- What changes could be made to make the council and commissions more effective?
- The Parish Council Constitution Bylaws were amended with a number of changes to make them current and incorporate the changes.
- The job descriptions and expectations of the Parish Council Officers were amended.
- The commissions were re-evaluated to better fit the mission of the parish.
- An action plan and time line for changes was developed and is currently being implemented.
The small group presented the recommendations to the Parish Council last month and the council voted unanimously to accept the recommendations and the descriptions of the commissions. These recommendations have resulted in the following changes:
The plan is to have these changes in place by the first meeting of the new fiscal year in September 2014. In order for that to be possible we will making all of these changes in the months of July and August. We ask that you take some time to think about the future of our parish and pray for the success of this endeavor. We feel that with the proper structure, strong leadership and help from the Holy Spirit we can make changes that will make St. James better for our parishioners and our community.
Over the next month and a half you will be seeing a lot more information regarding these changes and we hope that you will give some thought to your role in your church and your parish. Fill out the Commision Interest Form and return it to the church through the collection plate, mail, or at the main office.
139 Manor Avenue SW, Concord, NC 28025
Phone (704) 720-0600
Fax (704) 720-0610